By Laws of Zancana Community Centre
Article I: Introduction and Interpretation
Section 1. Name of the Centre
The name of the Centre shall be “Zancana Community Center”. It is a non-profit Charity organization set up under the Ontario Corporations Act.
Section 2. Objectives of the Zancana Community Centre
The Community center is established with the following objectives:
a) To establish and operate a community center to be used for workshops, programs, athletic, drama, art, music, handicraft, hobbies and recreation for the benefit of the general public.
b) To provide education, counseling and others support services for immigration and refugee in need, including language, employment training, job search programs, translation services, and other programs on Canadian culture and life.
c) To preach and advance the teaching of the Islamic faith and the religious tenets, doctrines, observances and culture associated with the faith.
d) To establish, maintain and support a house of worship with services conducted in accordance with the tenets and doctrine of the Islamic faith.
e) To establish and maintain religious school of instruction for children, youth and adults.
Section 3. Head Office of the Zancana Community Centre
The Head Office of the Zancana Community Center shall be in the Greater Toronto Area, in the Province of Ontario, Canada, in such a location that the Board of Directors from time to time may determine.
Section 4. Interpretation of the By-Law
a. This by-law shall be interpreted in accordance with the objectives of the Zancana Community Centre as defined in Article I, Section 3 of this by-law.
b. Unless otherwise stipulated, the terms used in this by-law shall have the following interpretation:
- The By-Law means the by-law of the Zancana Community Center.
- The Centre means the Zancana Community Centre.
- The Organization means the Zancana Community Centre.
- The Governing Board means the Governing Board of the Zancana Community Center.
- The Board of Directors means the Board of Directors of the Zanzibar Canadian Association
- A Member means a member of the Governing Board of the Zancana Community Centre.
- vii. The Chairperson means the Chairperson of the Zancana Community Centre.
- The Secretary means the Secretary of the Zancana Community Centre.
Article II: The Governing Board (GB), The Chairperson Committee and the Manager’s Committee
Section 1. Powers of the Governing Board
- The Governing Board shall oversee the management of the Zancana Community Centre.
- No individual member of the Board shall have the authority of making statements affecting the Centre’s’ policy to the press or other groups except as provided for in this by-law.
Section 2. Section 2. Size of the Governing Board and Terms of Office of the Members
a. The number of elected members of the Governing Board shall be seven (7), plus the President of Zancana, the Vice-President of Zancana, the Secretary, the Assistant Secretary, the Treasurer, the Assistant Treasurer and the Manager of the Community thus making fourteen (14). The members of Governing Board will be elected by the Board of Directors of Zancana.
b. The President shall nominate one member either from the elected members or outside the elected members who is an active member to become the Manager of the Community Centre. The President will then seek the approval from the Board of Directors.
c. The President shall nominate one member either from the elected members or outside the elected members who is an active member to become the Chairperson of the House of Worship. The President will then seek the approval from the Board of Directors.
d. The terms of office of the Members of Governing Board shall be determined by the Zancana Board of Directors.